Saturday, April 3, 2010

Easter is Here -- or nearly so --

Easter is one of those wonderful observances that seems to bring out the best in people. It is a time for getting together and enjoying friends and family. For those who have observed Lent and have denied themselves chocolate, they are putting up with watering mouths as the first taste of that chocolate egg draws near. There are so many symbols for Easter, many that came out of the European observance of the Spring Solstice -- bunnies, early blooming spring flowers, eggs, etc. For the Christian missionaries of 1500 years ago, these symbols were easily re-interpreted and they became religious symbols of the resurrection of Jesus. Yet, it is a time when people of all faiths or of no faith at all can come together and have a wonderful holiday. For many school children it is the beginning of a Spring vacation -- I know that I can still remember how welcome that week at Easter time was even in my day.

Let's take care of ourselves and those we love, letting this holiday be a time of refreshing of ourselves and our relationships. I know my family -- well the part of the family that still lives nearby -- will be gathering for a good lunch together. Some will have to leave early to travel, while others will linger. It's just one of those days.

Please, as I have said several times before, have a wonderful and blessed Easter Day. Who knows, I think I will find some time to read after everyone has gone home!!

No comments: