Wednesday, June 2, 2010

It's Wednesday: Time For The Ole Book Bag

I'm departing just a little from the format of previous weeks to pose a question. I was browsing my favorite book blogs, one of which is Anna's Book Blog, and she had a discussion of reviews in general. That gave me an idea that I sort of wanted to explore -- namely, do reviews really help foster interest in books? I know some of us spend a good deal of time writing them, and some of the reviews I have read have been very stimulating. Others have been -- well, dreadful -- strictly from a writing point of view (former English teacher in another life) so my views are prejudiced in that sense. However, even some of the dreadful writing has stimulated some interest in the book(s) in question. So my question is this? Do book reviews really help to foster interest in either reading, buying, borrowing a book or going to library for a book? I would love to have your input on this.

The discussion I read on Anna's Book Blog was about whether or not reviews should be general information, or should there be more of a synopsis of the story, or are spoilers really OK? However, I don't want to steal her "thunder" but this other question seemed to carem around my mind so I am putting it out there for your consideration.

BTW, I have not included my really cute graphic because it has gone somewhere on my computer, either my laptop or desktop, and haven't been able to locate it. So for the second week, we are without that lovely graphic. One of life's deeper mysteries, I realize, but I will widen the search, as the mystery buffs understand.

Have a wonderful week -- I hope you all had an enjoyable and safe Memorial Day celebration. We had a lovely BBQ with friends on one of the most beautiful spring days. Even here at the edge of the Mojave, the weather was spectacular. Even so, let us all remember with gratitude those men and women who, in the words of Abraham Lincoln, " . . . gave that last full measure of devotion" to their country through the years. And we keep their families in our thoughts and prayers.

Until next time . . .

No comments: