Monday, July 8, 2013

"The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow" (Yeah, Right!!) OR "Rainy Days And Mondays Always Get Me Down"

We're talking about RAIN and MORE RAIN this past week!  And here's this gal -- Me -- sitting in Southern Middle Tennessee which, by the way, is classified by weather people as "sub-tropical" and we have been enduring rain everyday for a week.  The big problem is that I haven't had to sit through a soggy July 4th in 35 years, coming from the High Desert of Southern California.  And now I am sitting in this soggy, sauna-like environment and it is just totally strange.

It was also very strange that there were no parades, not many fireworks, although there were tons of fireworks stands along major roads and boulevards in our town and those nearby.  But while we were waiting for them to go off, it was just quiet.  I think we heard more on Friday and Saturday than actually on July 4th.  Now we aren't talking about a polite little sprinkle that comes and goes.  I am talking about heavy rain that is coming straight down for several hours with a break of about 90 minutes, and then several hours more of heavy rain.  No wind most of the time.  I was surprised when I went to the upstairs bedrooms to find out that there was not rain coming in through open windows.  Just straight down non-stop.  Of course the grass and the plants and trees love it.  But I am sitting by my front window looking at the grass growing--it is almost something you can see happening with this much rain--and knowing that I won't be able to get out there and mow for another day.  And what's the forecast::  FOUR MORE DAYS OF RAIN.

The old-timers in our neighborhood tell me that we should be having 90 degree, 90 % humidity days by now.  That's really the only good thing about heavy clouds.  It does keep the temperature down.  But today it rained for about an hour and THEN the sun came out.  Instant sauna!

Oh . . . by the way . . . I can definitely report that I have learned a dozen new treatments for mosquito bites--and I am using them all.    It's Monday and it's raining, so it's a true "downer."  But, thank heavens, the air conditioner works.  We pull about 10-12 gallons of water out of the inside atmosphere everyday.  I'm hoping that at some time in the next few months, something magical will occur and I'll get used to this.  I'm not holding my breath.

No comments: