Thursday, December 3, 2015

Not Ready for Christmas yet . . . Still Hangin' on to Thanksgiving

That's right . . . I still want to hang on to Thanksgiving.  I love the family time, I love the quiet times of just sharing and of course, turkey, dressing, gravy, whipped potatoes, sweet potato casserole, Waldorf salad, and pumpkin pie are all my favorite foods.  

Yet there's something about taking time to re-examine the whole issue of gratitude.  I know down deep most of us have a profound sense of gratitude for the lives we lead, for the people who populate our homes and our lives, and for the abundance we all enjoy, even as we are thinking about all the "stuff" we still lust after.  I think there is so much that goes unsaid for much of my time.  I love being with my family, but I agree with those who point out that it is far too late to express our love at a graveside.  It's often embarrassing or we feel uncomfortable expressing our feelings to certain people.  I know when my kids were teens they really didn't welcome a mother that was overflowing with outward expressions of affection.

But now I look back on those days and regret not braving their displeasure in order to say what was in my heart.  I am reminded of those regrets at Thanksgiving, yet I think I am most blessed to still have them all in my life.  Now I have five grown grandkids, one who is just getting ready to enter high school, in-law children I value, and now three great-grandkids who are marvelous even as they are still toddlers and infants.  

I'm in that "tween time" between Christmas and Thanksgiving.  I shudder to think of the money flying out of my wallet for presents although I love giving to my family and friends.  But I'm still thinking about all the wonderful gifts of love and respect and joy they have brought into my life.  

Never fear . . . I'll get there.  Christmas will overwhelm soon enough.  

1 comment:

Wendy said...

There's always the insanity of cooking at Thanksgiving - but yes, somehow it does seem like the "quieter" holiday. A time to reflect and appreciate your blessings - a time to spend with your loved ones.

Christmas on the other hand - yes the actual day can be quiet lovely - but I think there's so much build up now, there's more days, more time to make ourselves crazy over the holiday. It's easy to lose sight of what truly matters.

And I type this as I worry about doing my own gift shopping this weekend. Ugh. Maybe I'll just make everyone a homemade macaroni art picture :)