Sunday, February 7, 2010

On The Road Again -- on a "horse" called Amtrak

Again, many thanks for all those who visit and leave their imprint behind through comments. I appreciate all who are enjoying the possibilities of good story and imagination that reading opens up to all who pursue it. I am off again -- on my annual professional enrichment trip -- going, this year, by train rather than by air. In fact, after my grandson's wedding last Spring and the vile experience we had with the whole flying thing, my husband and I decided that unless someone is dying and we had to get there post-haste, no more airplanes. We are just going to travel the civilized way -- by train. I have come to believe that those days on the train are as much a part of the "unwinding" as the time away itself. Meeting people, watching our beautiful country and its scenery unfolding past the windows of the observation car -- all are truly a part of letting go of the stress and just snoozing, chatting with new acquaintances, reading, listening to music, getting re-acquainted with my "one and only" and so on. I will be checking in and posting reviews and, perhaps, some errant thoughts as they present themselves, but I hope you all will be sharing some of your experiences with reading and whatever the stories call forth from your own life journeys. Obviously, this is not a "small group" setting, but I think the sharing part of blogging is some of the best in the entire experience. I am taking lots of books in my suitcase--another reason I like train travel. You can take two cases on the train with you and check up to three bags. Boy can I lug lots of books. But I also have a "slug" of books on my eReader -- if indeed books come in "slugs" -- and so I hope that will hold me for two weeks. I also hope some of you will send me some guest reviews, and I hope to contact some of my favorite authors and post some "interviews" with them as a way of keeping them involved with us, the readers, in ways other than their stories. The Book Binge and The Daily Basics are both great blogs/websites and have great book-buying opportunities on them, not only for physical hard or paperback books, but eBooks as well. So keep coming back and let me know where you are so I can return the visit. Until next time . . .

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Have a great time. Hopefully there won't be any crazy people on this trip keeping you up at night. :)