Monday, February 28, 2011

A Paranormal Smorgasbord: "Shifter" by Angela Knight et al

What a fun book!! I have to admit I hadn't really read much shape-shifter fiction until just a few years ago but I have really come to enjoy it, as long as it isn't too far out. One novel had people shifting into snakes, and even though they may have pulled that off OK, it made me feel creepy--creepier than usual with these kinds of paranormal bits--but all in all, I think the stories are lots of fun.

In this anthology you have selkies, jungle cats, wolves, and so on. All the authors are easily recognized for their long publishing history and storytelling prowess. Each story is long enough to be interesting, to develop plot and characters, yet none go on forever. Obviously each reader will like the parts of the book that fit in with their own reading preferences, but I have to admit that I enjoyed all of them. They all just seemed to fit together well.

This book was released a couple of years ago so it is not new on the romance fiction scene. But as I have stated already a time or two, I think in our frenzy to get to the "just released" stories we often overlook books that have been around for a while. This is just such a book. I also have to admit that I have not read as much from Alyssa Day and Virginia Kantra as I have from the other two authors, and while I used to pass over anthologies as being kind of a hodge podge rather than one story with a purpose and goal, I have re-examined that attitude and found that perhaps that was a hasty judgment on my part.

So I hope if you have not read this book you will pick it up at your library or book store. I think it is worth the time to read--just some really fun stories. I give it a rating of 4 out of 5.

No comments: